The Canadian Motorcycle Tourism Association is the association building Veterans Memorial Gardens & Interpretive Centre in Grande Prairie.
The Vision of the CMTA:
To have motorcyclists recognized for their significant contributions to Canada as tourists, volunteers and community leaders.
The CMTA's Mission Statement:
The Canadian Motorcycle Tourism Association believes that our heritage, history and tourism are natural partners in growing better communities. Our relationships with partnering organizations allows us to contribute to the well being of our veterans, youth and families in the communities we live and work in.
The Veterans Memorial Gardens & Interpretive Centre Committee is:
Renee Charbonneau - Chair/Project Lead
Renee is the daughter of two veterans and a base brat. A long term member of the Canadian Army Veterans Motorcycle Units, Renee realized a long time ago that motorcycles and veterans were a "thing". Renee believes that "Remembrance is something that a Silver Cross Family does daily and so should we."
Lynne is the daughter of a veteran and a long time resident of the Grande Prairie Region.
Sheila Willis (Historian)
Sheila is the Alberta Heritage Excellence Award Recipient for 2018.
She is also one of the founders of the History Check App, a travel companion app that shares the rich history of Alberta in an entertaining and engaging way. Sheila is passionate about history!
Our Committee's Mission:
To create a place that will educate the citizens and youth of our region about the military history of Northwestern Alberta, because there is much to learn from our past.
To create a place of Remembrance for comrades, families and loved ones to find solace and where the citizens and youth of our region can commemorate and celebrate the lives of our soldiers, the ones who became veterans and the ones who were killed in action.
Our Committee's Vision:
Veterans Memorial Gardens & Interpretive Centre brings together our rich military history and the stories of service and sacrifice in a way that makes learning, exploring & remembering an experience for all who enter.
Our Objects for the CMTA as of August 2019:
1) To provide a public amenity by establishing and maintaining a Military Interpretive & Learning Centre in Grande Prairie.
2) To provide a public amenity by establishing and maintaining a Veterans Memorial Gardens.
3) To provide a public amenity by establishing and maintaining a Fallen Riders Memorial Garden and Monument in Two Hills Alberta
4) To promote and maintain efficiency and high standards of practice in the travel, tourism and hospitality industries of Canada for the benefit of the public and motorcycling veterans and tourists by developing online training program, for, and providing them to individuals in the travel, tourism and hospitality industries for free.
5) To provide for the recreation of the members and to promote and afford opportunity for friendly and social activities.
6) To provide a meeting place for the consideration and discussion of questions
affecting the interest of the community.
7) To promote responsible motorcycle tourism activities.